Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Ultimate Volunteer Story: Kids Edition

I know it's been a while since my last post, but there really hasn't been much going on. However, I started a new routine a couple weeks ago that has rendered a good story. I'm registered to run a 10k this Sunday (which I realize now is Mother's Day so Happy Mother's Day!!). I've never run a 10k distance in my life, so my goal is to simply do the whole thing without walking. We'll see how it goes. Anyway, the last few weeks I've been training and got in the routine of running after work at the Oval (aka track). I'll set the scene: the track is packed dirt with a few rocks here and there and in the middle is a basketball court, volleyball court, a small soccer field, and a tennis court (basketball and tennis court at either end of the track with volleyball and soccer in between). I'm actually very lucky to have this area – not many volunteers have a site with a track.

So most days after work I've been playing volleyball until dark (which is at 6-7 pm year-round) and then I run. I've been doing this routine for just a few weeks now and already everyone in the Oval knows my name (not because they necessarily know me but because I'm the strange foreigner and one of the few girls doing something athletic, so why wouldn't they be curious as to what my name is?). When I enter the Oval many people shout out greetings and it feels nice and welcoming. There's also a group of about 10-15 kids (maybe ranging from 8-12 years old) who hang out around the tennis court shagging balls for the players. My story centers around these kids.

The first few times I ran, the kids would just stare at me every time I went past the tennis court. After a while they started shouting my name and waving at every passing, and it continued this way for about a week. Then one evening they started getting more enthusiastic with their waves and would even run to the track for a close up view of me running past (after being in this country for 10 months I'm very use to this fishbowl-everyone-staring-all-the-time stuff). A couple laps later they actually began spreading across the path and holding hands, forcing me to charge them and break through their barrier with them laughing and squealing at my snarling growl (and I tell you, after a few laps of this it got exhausting having to muster up the energy to do this every lap, but how can you refuse those hopeful looks and squeals of laughter). Then one lap, instead of forming a line across, they were all congregated in a blob right in the middle. As I neared they opened a small opening for me to go through and as I got in the middle of them they started running with me! I was swallowed up by 15 kids running around the track! It actually felt to me like having a swarm of gnats surrounding me, in a good way of course (if that's possible). The little ones didn't even make it half way around the track though; they decided to stop a quarter of the way, cut through the middle, and wait for me on the other end to finish the lap with me. The older ones made it the whole way and some of them even tried to race me (although this was towards the end of my run so I had very little steam left).

So for the last few laps of my run the older kids (the younger ones were tired after that first lap) would run with me for one lap, then rest, then run, then rest, and it was a nice little pattern. I did my last lap with the older kids, finishing on the opposite side of the tennis court. We walked my cool down lap and picked up the younger kids as we walked past the tennis court and headed over to the stands where I do my stretching and crunches after every run. I figured the kids would go back to the tennis court once they realized I was pretty much done with the exciting stuff, but nope! They stuck with me and counted to twenty while we did stretches, crunches, push ups, jumping jacks, more stretches, and anything else I could think of to entertain them. At one point we were even copying the moves of a Filipino exercising on the other side of the stands (not sure if he realized a foreigner and a bunch of kids were copying him, but it worked out okay).


Since that day there are still a few kids who have joined me for my running and stretching, and one kid in particular who seems particularly devoted. It's quite cute, really. But I think this is one of the experiences I'll take with me and think back on during the hard days because everything is so much more fun and enjoyable where there's a laughing kid there with you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment